Steampunk inspiration and resources

Van Helsing is Getting a Reboot and I Can’t say I’m Happy About It

Tom Cruise "saluting" the symbol of Scientology, which is inexplicably a cross

Tom Cruise “saluting” the symbol of Scientology, which is inexplicably a cross

So the first Van Helsing movie was great and I was really hoping for a sequel. Unfortunately, what we are going to get is a “reboot” with professional crazy person Tom Cruise at the wheel. Apparently Universal Studios is seeing fit to do this to both of Stephen Sommers’ monster blockbusters, so The Mummy will also be getting a makeover by the same redundancy-loving writers who saw fit to reboot Spiderman only 5 years after Toby Maguire kicked all of his enemies back to the funny pages. Ugh.

Does anyone else feel like there isn’t anything new anymore coming out of Hollywood? Do they think we are stupid or just have extremely short attention spans? Rebooting Batman was genius because it has been around forever and had basically slipped into the realm of farce in Batman and Robin, but Van Helsing the billowy-coat monster hunter is a character that Sommers created only 10 years ago and there is nothing at all wrong with the original.

Let me know what you think below!

10 responses

1. Pingback: Van Helsing (2004) Mixes Monsters for Movie Magic | For Whom the Gear Turns

2. When Cruise is good he’s great – Magnolia for example. But most of the time he’s a sign that there’s blandness to come, so I don’t have high hopes. And I’d definitely rather see something new than all these revivals.

January 27, 2014 at 5:18 am

• I saw a fake trailer for a Van Helsing 2 using footage of James Purefoy from Solomon Kane and he would make a great choice!

January 27, 2014 at 9:37 am

• He really would. His Mark Anthony was one of the highlights of Rome, and that’s a show that bursting with great acting.

January 27, 2014 at 10:07 am

3. In my opinion Tom Cruise has only done one good film. And in that he was dead…
    I’m as disappointed about a reboot as you are – they obviously have no opinion of the public whatsoever. 😦

January 27, 2014 at 9:11 am

4. Woops – that sounded a bit harsh when I read it back! I don’t mean I wih Tom Cruise was dead! Doh!

January 27, 2014 at 9:12 am

• I just figured you meant when he was playing a vampire, right?

January 27, 2014 at 9:38 am

• Yeah – I’m worrying too much today (got brittish-itish-itis!)

January 27, 2014 at 9:43 am

5. BEAUTYCALYPSE

I can’t imagine hollywood has run out of good and fresh ideas. maybe they should give new writers a try?

January 27, 2014 at 1:04 pm

6. What a shame. I loved Van Helsing, but I can’t watch anything Tom Cruise without being completely distracted by the crazy.

January 27, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s