I’m Somebody’s Sunshine!
Thanks a lot to Bia Helvetti for nominating my blog for a Sunshine Award. I am very new to the blogosphere (just hit 1,000 views yesterday!) and Bia was one of my very first followers. Her blog is all about story-telling and I’ve been enjoying her stories and our dialog so far. Check out her blog, Child of the Island, here!
So the way the Sunshine Award works is that now that I displayed the logo and gave a shout out to the person who nominated me, it is my job to tell you 10 fun things about myself and then share the love with 10 other blogs I enjoy. So here goes!
First, a few things about me.
1. I think puns are the highest form of comedy and a clever play on words will keep can keep me giggling for days. For instance, my toy poodle is named Gadget (because he’s a toy, get it?)
2. I buy movies based on what I call its rewatchability rating. I am not interested in keeping movies around unless I plan to watch them at least 5 times.
3. A spoonful of sweetened condensed milk in a cup of rich black coffee is pretty much like heaven. (By the way, if you are ever confronted with a yuckily bitter cup of coffee you can add a little shake of salt to it and the bitterness disappears and leaves just the coffee flavor behind.)
4. When I want to try cooking a new food I read at least 4 different recipes and follow none of them. I prefer to combine the best parts of each and make something new and uniquely mine.
5. I used to work in a lending library in a science museum and it was my job to hang around and wait for people to ask me questions about natural history. My favorite encounter was with an 8-year-old who was afraid of werewolves and his mom wanted me to provide a scientific explanation for why werewolves aren’t real.
6. I originally planned to be an art major in college but I ultimately went for Cultural Anthropology. I am very grateful for that education and the way it has broadened my perspective and understanding of the people, past and present, who populate our world.
7. When in my teens I thought I was going to be an artist or writer, but I changed trajectory in college. Now I am really enjoying a return to wordsmithing on this blog and I am working on a novel as well. I am not sure exactly what to call the genre I am writing in because it is one part science and one part magic, because after all, magic is what we call things we don’t yet understand. So for brevity’s sake I just call it Steampunk.
8. I really enjoy making crafts, not just the finished product but creating craft projects for others. In my museum work I have created/adapted several crafts to go along with programming themes and special events. I am looking forward to doing more of that for the blog so stay tuned for more tutorials like my Christmas ornaments.
9. My dad says that my mother and I must both have buttons in our butts because every time we sit down to play cards or a game we start to sing.
10. I am going on an archaeological dig in Greece this summer as an object photographer.
Now, 10 more blogs that add a little sunshine to my life (in no particular order):
1. Andrew Knighton Writes– Andrew is an author who writes insightful posts about writing, reading and life. I mostly read his posts via my wordpress reader but I also really like the theme for his site.
2. Hovercraftdoggy– “Art, architecture, design and photography blog- for your daily dose of inspiration, creativity and beauty.” Whenever one of these posts shows up in my blogroll I know I am in store for some interesting images. Recently there was a really interesting gallery of cosplayers in costume but in their own homes. Very cool.
3. History with a twist– David Lawlor is a journalist who enjoys writing about obscure figures in history. I ran across his entertaining blog when I was looking for information about Emperor Norton (America’s one and only monarch), but ended up reading lots of short articles about things like the transvestite in Custer’s army and covert military sniper trees.
4. Live to write – Write to live– This is a nice blog about writing for writers based out of New Hampshire.
5. Michael Bradley Time Traveler– This is a super fun blog under the “humor and observations” umbrella. I seldom see a preview of a post without looking at the whole thing. Two highlights of this week was an article about how cow farts are destroying the environment and Chinese character tattoo fails. He does not write all the content himself but I like the articles he brings together.
7. STEAMED! A steampunk writing blog. I really enjoyed Twas the Night Before Christmas with airship pirates this week.
8. ILLUSTRATION AGE– I am a very visual person so blogs with lots of images always appeal to me. This one features work by many different illustrators.
9. Traveler’s Steampunk Blog– This steamy blog has fun pictures of cosplay and podcasts about the Steampunk scene.
10. Old Design Shop– free vintage images to inspire and add to your creations.
Who adds sunshine to your day?