There’s Still Time to Sign Up for the Collaborative Writing Challenge! Begins Dec. 30
I learned a lot of things from participating in this year’s NaNoWriMo- Pre-writing is a godsend, I need to stop deluding myself into thinking I can write after 5pm, and I can write over 3000 words a day for a week straight if I have to.
But I also got a real taste of how very lonely being a writer can be.
Which makes me even more excited for the novel I will be coordinating with the Collaborative Writing Challenge! This is a chance to build up a really cool community of writers that I hope will go above and beyond this individual project.
The deadline for possible first chapter submissions is today, and so far we’ve got 7 submissions. I’ll be reading those submissions and talking over the potential for growth with the rest of the CWC over the next few weeks to narrow it down to three, then it will be time for people to vote on their favorite.
Didn’t write a starter chapter? No problem! I think writing the parts in the middle are the most fun, personally, because you wield so much power over the rest of the story. I’ll be starting my try for Project, 6, Esyld’s Awakening, Chapter 16 this week. It’s been 10 chapters since I saw the story last and I am really excited to see where it has gone when I wasn’t looking. Wish me luck!
Here’s a quick reminder of how the whole project works.
- Writers sign up for a chapter try by December 30. (We’ve reached our minimum number of authors to get the project going, but the more the merrier!) Sign up by filling out the form here
- 3-5 Writers attempt each chapter, one week at a time. You’d have access to the following:
- The chapter immediately before the one you attempt
- detailed chapter summaries of any chapter that came before
- detailed notes about characters, places, and any special objects or magic schema that may be at work
- prompts and questions from the coordinator to help you decide which direction to take
- The coordinator (me!) chooses the chapter(s) that moves the story along the best (and/or is my favorite for whatever reason. Sometimes we also combine multiple chapter attempts).
- At the end, we have a 30-chapter book with at least 30 contributing authors who all get to put another book on their resume
- 10% of proceeds go to charity!
And don’t forget, if your chapter is chosen at any point during the challenge, you’ll also receive a United we Steampunk, Divided we Fall pin by yours truly.