Hello friends! I don’t usually share that much about myself on this blog because its focus is on Steampunk, but I was recently nominated for a blogger to blogger award called the Liebster, and I thought it would be a fun opportunity for readers to get to know me better. The way this works is that I share 11 interesting things about myself, then answer 10 questions posed by the person who nominated me, Dave M over at Weaving the Wolfsong. Then I’ll share some blogs that I really enjoy and I think you will, too.
So, 11 facts about me…
- When I work, I often have movies on in the background. I regularly cycle through all of the Pirates of the Caribbean, Lord of the Rings, and the Harry Potters.
- I am the Creative Director for a nonprofit creativity competition for grades 5-8 in MN.
- I also teach drama in an after school program for grades 1-3.
- I have no problem performing on stage or talking to large groups of people, but something about being on camera gives me the wiggins. I’ve gotta get over this fast because I really want to have videos on this blog, but it makes me super nervous for some reason.
- I am the “tough love” friend. I will pat you on the head and give you a comforting hug, but then lay some truth on you with no BS right after.
- I think a dirty gin martini with two garlic stuffed olives is a slice of heaven.
- I have a really annoying food allergy. I can’t eat anything that is high in Ascorbic acid, AKA vitamin C. Oranges, limes, lemons, grapefruit, kiwis, strawberries, and most heart-breakingly, tomatoes are all off the menu for me (which also means like 90% of the cocktails in the world).
- My motto for life is “Manage your foibles and maximize the awesome.”
- Socks are the tools of the oppressors.
- It’s not so much that I hate pandas, but I hate how much people love them and want to protect them when there are so many other animals out there with better survival skills that need our help. They just aren’t cute enough to get peoples’ attention.
- This is my dog Gadget, who is the inspiration behind one of the main characters of Riftmaker, Buddy. Basically, Buddy is who I imagine my dog would be if he suddenly became human.
David’s 10 Questions and Answers
Q:What is your most prized possession?
A:I used to be more of a “stuff” person, but since moving around a lot over the past 3 years and keeping the majority of my things in storage, I find myself to be pretty detached from my possessions. If I had to choose an actual thing to be proud of, I would say my passport because it has so many stamps in it, or my camera because it has helped me capture my experiences.
Q: If you could become any animal for a day, what wold you pick?
A: I think I’d like to be a dolphin. Low chance that I’d get eaten, swimming is basically like flying underwater, and I would be intelligent enough to really enjoy the experience.
Q:What do you first notice when you meet someone new?
A: How they hold themselves and whether they make eye contact. You can learn a lot from a person by their posture.
Q: What is your favorite thing about yourself?
A: Though I shy away from phrases like “follow your dreams,” I am really proud of myself for getting out of my subpar working situation a few years ago to travel and pursue writing. I have discovered that even though I like to make spreadsheets and color code things, I am also adaptable and I am happy to say that I have been able to make the most out of the uncertainty I have faced and really enjoy my vagabond life.
Q: If you were suddenly given an hour of extra time away from your responsibilities, what would you do?
A: Make more art. I have been really focused on writing, but I miss working with my hands, too.
Q: If you were challenged to a fight to the death, and you could pick any weapon (real or fictional), what would you take into battle?
Q: Is there any place you have always wanted to visit?
A: Istanbul was right at the top of my list, and I have been there twice now. I would totally go back, I really love that city! But for a new place to visit, I’d say Germany. My heritage is mostly Danish, British, and German, and I have been to both Denmark and Britain so I’d like to visit Germany next.
Q: What made you decide to start a blog?
A: I had never heard the word Steampunk before attending my friend’s burlesque show. I knew I liked things, but I didn’t know the umbrella term they fit under. Once I knew the word and started researching I was finding so much cool stuff I thought it would be fun to be a part of the community and help connect other people to this thing I really liked.
Q: What’s a unique ability or talent you have that most do not?
A: I seem to be able to soothe the savage beasts of retail. I have been told by several co-workers at my weekend job that the customers are horrible, but I have never had a bad encounter. They might come up to my register with their grump-face on, but they always leave smiling.
Q: What’s the best compliment you’ve ever received?
A: My book contract with Rambunctious Ramblings Publishing Inc.
And finally, my nominations for cool blogs
- Ben’s Bitter Blog is a very funny site that focuses on social commentary.
- A Narcissist Writes Letters, To Himself is equal parts funny and poignant. His posts sometimes take the shape of poetry, and are always brief and interesting.
- Art Exists Because Life is Not Enough has captivating images.
- The Steampunk Journal is an excellent source of Steampunkery
- The Pandora Society posts three times a day about Steampunk, Dieselpunk, and general awesomeness in Sci-fi/Fantasy, too.
If the bloggers I nominated would like to play the game, here are some questions to answer.
- Favorite beverage and why
- Morning person, night owl or somewhere in between?
- What book or song do with you had written?
- What is one skill you wish you had?
- Pick 5 adjectives to describe yourself
- What do you like best about blogging?
- Favorite season and why
- Tell a story about a time you tried something outside of your comfort zone
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- Is there something you want to make sure you do before you die?