Steampunk inspiration and resources

I Need Feedback on my Steampunk Sticker Design!

Gears Turn Me On sticker

Gears Turn Me On sticker

Hello Steampunk fans! I am developing a Kickstarter campaign for a Steampunk zine and I am designing at least one sticker that I will get printed to send as a thank you to backers. This is my first attempt at inking my hand drawn design and I wanted to see what you thought! The final product would be more polished and the lines smoother, this is just the design so far.

I would ideally also sell this sticker on Etsy or the like, so please help me out by leaving a comment or answering my poll below!

17 responses

1. Would love to hear more about your kickstarter plan. Have I just missed it appearing on your blog?

March 10, 2014 at 11:03 am

• No, I am still developing it. I don’t want to saturate folks with it until I have a clear budget and some other things nailed down. ๐Ÿ™‚ But, the short answer is that I am going to be living abroad starting in May and I want backers to help send me to London during August to visit and write about Victorian attractions and Steampunk stores, tea houses, etc. I want backers to help contribute not just their dollars but also their ideas so they will help shape the content. I want to make these stickers both to send to backers and also to leave behind on lamp posts, etc when I visit a place. Then if other people go there they can send a pic by the sticker ๐Ÿ™‚

March 10, 2014 at 11:18 am

• That’s a really cool idea – hope it works out, and I look forward to reading more about it.

I like the design, though I wouldn’t use the grey for any lettering as it fades into the background a bit.

March 11, 2014 at 5:54 am

• I had to use a pencil instead of ink for that part because I didn’t have a gray pen. It would come out a nice, even gray with black borders against bright white on the finished design. Thanks for your feedback!

March 11, 2014 at 9:23 am

• That is an awesome idea. So looking forward to this happening. I really should look outside more, as I live in London and didn’t even think there was that much in London to visit around Victorian attractions and Steampunk stores. What kind of places did you plan to hit? I’ll need to visit shortly after to spy your sticker.

March 12, 2014 at 11:39 pm

• I will be posting about me idea with a possible itinerary soon. It would be easier for you to see everything there rather than smooshed into a comment box ๐Ÿ™‚ But there are places like the home of Darwin, Victoria and Albert museum, Abney Park Cemetery. A lot of the same places that tourists already go, but I will present them through a steampunk lens.

March 13, 2014 at 6:57 am

• Awesome. Looking forward to the post.

March 13, 2014 at 12:18 pm

2. Pingback: I Just Finished My First Shadow Boxes! | For Whom the Gear Turns

3. Pingback: Help me Pick a Slogan! | For Whom the Gear Turns

4. oops sorry, didn’t know it would show like that and I didn’t mean to post the same one twice, should have been this one:

April 2, 2014 at 3:36 pm

• Hm, well, that is exactly the font I was trying to duplicate (I have that book on my coffee table :)). But I also wanted the lettering to move with the shape of the gear so they got a little warped. I took a poll in a later post and people preferred “My Other Car is an Airship” hands down to any other slogan so I am developing that one right now. I am going to use silohuettes of a vintage car and an airship rather than using the words “car” and “airship” and the silohuettes I did today look great so I might have it up as early as tomorrow!

April 2, 2014 at 4:47 pm

• Ahhh that sounds cool, I’ll keep my eye out! I am working on something steampunk myself ๐Ÿ™‚ Today though I have been doing hot air balloons. I might make them steampunky in future designs, I like the ’round the world in 80 days’ and the ‘his dark materials’ styles of hot air balloons.

April 3, 2014 at 9:59 am

• I think you started getting my posts sometime after I did my airship post, so here is the link if you want to see some awesome airships other artists have done.

April 3, 2014 at 10:06 am

• Thanks, I didn’t realise the air ships could be hot air balloon shapes! I was thinking like blimps!

April 3, 2014 at 10:22 am

• I especially like the ones that use more than one balloon

April 3, 2014 at 10:23 am

• Yes, ingenious!

April 3, 2014 at 11:04 am

Share your thoughts

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s